I made it to swims yesterday, even after getting on the wrong bus and ending up stuck with all my luggage with no way to get anywhere. It is beautiful here, cliffs and steep widing roads to get here, and a great rocky coast to look out from. There are islands all over in the ocean, some within an easy swim, others might take a paddle board to get to I just have to find one. I got into my room, a very nice fully furnished little room, bed desk bookshelf dresser, and then a bathroom with a shower as well. couldn't really ask for more.
The institute itself is a little smaller than I had expected, coming from one that was used as for teaching as well I hadn't expected the entire lack of teaching labs. Just offices and research labs all crammed with tanks. Dr. Rajan is very nice, he makes sure to teach you everything needed to do the work, then sets you on your own to repeat and learn it yourself. I feel like I could already repeat the experiment we are doing on my own. The guy who runs the facility is also incredibly nice. Judging by the accent I'd say he's Brittish, one of the first things he wanted to know is whether I play rugby or not. Of course he expected me to say no, but 'just in case...'. Dr Rajan led me around and introduced me to everybody, and told them all I was here to learn, so if they ever wanted help or were doing anything very interesting to come and get me. One of the Professors here dives off the coast to examine coral, I hope she'll come and get me for that. She is trying to improve coral growth by growing them on electric mesh. Never heard of that one.
I worked until ten setting up the second trial of Rajan's ocean acidification experiment, with some breaks. Like stopping for dinner, some Indian food Rajan had made, curry vegatables and wheat tortilla bread. It was tasty.
Today we are just observing the experiment, to make sure it is controlling itself correctly and later we are going to a seminar on main campus, afterward everybody goes out with the director for drinks. Supposedly hes a party animal, rugby hooligan type i guess.
Dear Ackley,
ReplyDeleteIt sound like everything is going well!! I am glad you are with nice people and that you will learn a lot. I love you, infinity, MOM
Hey! I am glad someone smart suggested you write a blog!!! Because it is fun to read. Hope you learn rugby.
ReplyDeleteIs SWIMS an acronym?
ReplyDeleteI don't think that you could ask for much more little bro
ReplyDelete